Release status: beta
|Description||Integrated support for Ogg Theora, Vorbis, Speex|
|Check usage and version matrix|
OggHandler is an extension which allows you to display Ogg audio and video files in wiki pages, using the same syntax as for image files. It also has limited support for metadata display on file description pages.
- Display a video at its nominal size. Displays a still image from the midpoint with a play button to start an embedded player.
- Show a placeholder for a sound file, with a play button to start an embedded player.
- Show a video in a floating thumbnail box
- Show a video embedded in an image gallery
- [[File:Video.ogg|noicon]], [[File:Audio.ogg|noicon]]
- Hide the help icon.
- [[File:Video.ogg|noplayer]], [[File:Audio.ogg|noplayer]]
- Show still image or placeholder icon only, do not embed player.
- Use a frame from 1 minute 25 seconds into the video as the placeholder image. A single number is taken as an offset in seconds.
Client support Edit
We have explicit support for the following video players:
We have generic support for clients which claim to support application/ogg in navigator.mimeTypes, and for clients which recognise the <video> tag.
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/Extension:OggHandler directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
To install this extension, add the following to the end of your LocalSettings.php:
require( "$IP/extensions/OggHandler/OggHandler.php" );
After the require line, add this to your LocalSettings.php:
$wgFFmpegLocation = '/usr/bin/ffmpeg';
you may need to change the path to your ffmpeg. You can find yours by typing: which ffmpeg
You can get better results from oggThumb if you have version 0.9 (unreleased?) of oggvideotools installed, which you will probably have to do from source. (oggvideotools 0.8 does not work as it is missing required output options.)
$wgOggThumbLocation = '/usr/local/bin/oggThumb';
Installing ffmpeg on debianEdit
On debian 4 (etch) to 6 (squeeze) execute: "apt-get update; apt-get install ffmpeg ffmpeg2theora". You may also like to have a look at aptitude search ffmpeg
Requires FFmpeg and PEAR. Requires web access to $wgScriptPath/extensions/OggHandler. See the README file for more information.
See also Edit
- Test matrix -- Client-side test matrix and known bugs
- Java version survey -- Java versions in use as of March 2008